Sunday 27 September 2009

memotone Woodland Session One. September 2009

Today I decided to grab a very long extension lead and take it from my house, out into the woods. Where the lead met its maximum length I set up a few bits of equipment including my Kaoss Pad 3, the Boss RC-50 and an NXT-1 microphone and a couple of instruments. Guitar and Organ. Once I had everything set and ready to go, I just pointed the camera at the set up and pressed record. I didnt give myself any rehearsal time or use any previous ideas. Because of that sadly, one of the strings is out of tune on the guitar and I hit a wrong note on the organ. But I dont mind because that just reflects the imperfection of human kind. Or atleast thats what I'm going to say, hahaha.
You can view my exploration into woodland sound and many other videos on youtube. Just search memotone. But for now, here is the new number.
Please enjoy the improvisation.




All the best,
memotone/William

1 comment:

  1. The setting is awesome and very aesthetic with greens and greys and reds all coming together neatly. I think another session that might fit your style of music would be to set up on a misty morning and play as the sun lifts the mist. Yesterday it was really great for rolling mists. So beautiful.
    I think partly one of the reasons I like your music so much is that the rural element kind of seeps into it. It is unusual to find a musician who takes inspiration from a rural lifestyle. Most of the other bands I listen to are very much coming from an urban setting and influence. I can’t relate to that so well. I don’t feel very at home in an urban environment.
    I’m starting to prefer your unplanned video sessions to your recorded stuff that is on myspace. I like the fact that it’s not perfect on the video sessions, it feels more real. I like the discordance within the video sessions that are lacking in the myspace page tracks. For example, in the track called This Time Last Year there are elements of the video session http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3FZTB-umXE&feature=channel_page (August 2009) I prefer the sounds on the video session to the recorded one. I really like the combination of harmony and disharmony and the glitches within the video session compared to the neatness of This Time Last Year. Not that I don’t like the recorded songs, I do like them a lot. I think they are very different.

    I look forward to hearing what you come up with for the wood chopping sounds you spoke of in your last post. Good luck with learning the trumpet. It is a lovely instrument, though looks hard to play. And yes, Winter is a great time of year. I love how the countryside opens up and you can see so much more of it. It’s a calm time of year really, not at all like the other seasons. Autumn is so busy. There are so many things left to do. I have tons of chutney still to make, and jams, jellies and fruit cheeses. I hardly have any time to write I’m so busy during the Autumn.

    ReplyDelete